Rita, outside Belvedere Cottages
Port Elizabeth's Horse Memorial is without its rider.
One of Man’s Loyal Companions
Let us continue to praise and recognise these majestic and noble companions in good times and bad times and therefore restore this beautiful statue.
The Horse Memorial is a registered provincial heritage site, which was erected in memory of the horses that served and died during the Second South African War (previously known as Second Boer War). The memorial was unveiled on February 11, 1905.
This memorial, designed by Joseph Whitehead and cast in bronze by Cox and Company, Thames Ditton Works in Surrey, was unveiled on 11 February 1905 by the Mayor of Port Elizabeth, Mr Alexander Fettes. The monument commemorates the horses that suffered and died during the Anglo-boer War (1899-1902). ...consisting of life-sized bronze figures of a horse about to quench its thirst from a bucket held by a kneeling soldier, together with the inscribed granite plinth on which it stands and the base of which incorporates a drinking trough.
The base of the memorial is inscribed:
THE GREATNESS OF A NATION
CONSISTS NOT SO MUCH UPON THE NUMBER OF ITS PEOPLE
OR THE EXTENT OF ITS TERRITORY
AS IN THE EXTENT AND JUSTICE OF ITS COMPASSION
ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION
IN RECOGNITION OF THE SERVICES OF THE GALLANT ANIMALS
WHICH PERISHED IN THE ANGLO BOER WAR 1899-1902